Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can I texture over rubbery pealing latex over oil?? Substrate police?

CAL

09-03-13, 10:27 AM   #1  
Can I texture over rubbery pealing latex over oil?? Substrate police?

Hello! My husband and I are renovating a 108 year old house. The previous owners painted the kitchen walls and cabinets with latex paint over oil paint! Of course it is now pealing and comes off when wiping it down. Can I apply texture directly over this bad situation or must i strip it and sand it down to the oil first?
-Heidi

Sponsored Links

WA

09-03-13, 11:57 AM   #2  
You cannot put ANYTHING over peeling (not pealing) paint and expect it to last. Your best bet is to strip ALL the coatings down to bare wood and start over.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-03-13, 01:17 PM   #3  
I agree, anything that is loose needs to go! Be aware that with a house that old the odd are high that you will have to deal with lead based paint. The main dangers with lead paint is inhaling the dust [from sanding] and ingesting the lead chips [children] The gov't has gotten stricter with lead removal. Homeowners have more leeway than contractors but the new lead regs came into effect shortly after I retired so I'm not familiar with them.

Is there a particular reason [other than hiding the peeling] you want to texture the wood?

btw - welcome to the forums Heidi!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread