Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to patch up this hole?

PA

09-15-13, 10:40 AM   #1  
How to patch up this hole?

A crack and a hole developed on the ceiling about my stairs. The area immediately around the hole is detached from the ceiling, but is fastened about 3 inches out. I attached a picture. Please advise how to patch the hole, what patching material should be used, and if I should scrape the surrounding area away before patching.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

09-15-13, 11:05 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

First, fix whatever movement allowed the crack to form.

Then remove the loose material.

The void can then be patched with joint compound,textured to match, primed and painted.

CANADA

09-15-13, 11:12 AM   #3  
Hi..and Welcome....
Is that damage on a bulkhead, or drop down ceiling off the stairs..?? - Looks like a dark hole..(hollow)..Is there anything behind the cracked wall? - That hole may become quite large when opened up.. Just wondering if there is backing behind it... I would probably start at the whole and work my way to solid material.. Then see what I have to fix...
Let us know..!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-16-13, 03:49 AM   #4  
As Mitch said, you need to secure whatever is loose first and as jatco said - you might wind up with a hole that needs drywall to cover the hole. Go ahead and scrape off what is loose and post another pic. You'll at least need to screw tight any loose drywall, tape any gaps and smooth out with joint compound. Then use popcorn texture in an aerosol can to finish up with. If you need to replace any drywall we can further advise after you get the hole opened up.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread