Had to cut hole in textured ceiling

Old 09-20-13, 08:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Had to cut hole in textured ceiling

I hired a plumber to repair a broken line in between the first floor laundry and the second floor bathroom. He had to cut a hole in the ceiling as I expected. How can this be patched and invisible? this is a lowered section of ceiling and is only about 10-15 square feet. Is the best option to sand all the texture off and just redo it or can it be blended in? If you stood under the section of ceiling and looked up it loks like the picture. Thanks.

Name:  hole.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  8.5 KB

Old 09-20-13, 08:59 AM
W
Just out of curiosity, did they happen to save the piece that they cut out? If it didn't get destroyed when it got cut out, there is a possibility of being able to put it back up again by scabbing some scrap wood above the remaining drywall with some of the wood overlapping into the hole and screwing the cutout piece back in place.

Just a thought. That way all you'd have to do is repair the seams and screw holes.

I've managed to do this with success in the past.

Old 09-20-13, 09:42 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
What type of texture is it? Swirl, stomp, knockdown, popcorn or orange peel?

Old 09-20-13, 10:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Texture can almost always be blended in but isn't necessarily as easy as just throwing some texture over the repair. Different types of texture may require different methods to make the texture blend. Odds are the whole ceiling will need to be repainted afterwards.

Old 09-20-13, 12:33 PM
J
Thumbs up

I do have the original piece it was not destroyed, I believe it is swirl texture, Ill have to grap a pic of it later. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-21-13, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
.. Having the saved piece, you can put that back in place as Wildbill mentions. That would be the route to take..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: