Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting steps

NJ

10-02-13, 07:20 PM   #1  
Painting steps

Trying to figure out what to charge to paint steps that are oak with clear poly on them. Kickers and sides will be painted semi gloss. Steps will be redone with poly. Railings will remain poly and posts and balisters will be painted semi gloss.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-03-13, 03:23 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

We aren't here to provide estimates and even if we did, labor prices can vary a lot from region to region not to mention how skill level affects the price.

If any of the areas to be painted are currently coated with poly - you'll need to sand and apply a solvent based primer. Materials are easy to price, you'll probably need a quart of each but figure on a gallon to be safe [gallon prices aren't that much higher than quarts] Then it's just a matter of figuring out how long you expect the job to take and how much you expect to make per hour. Don't forget to include the time spent getting materials, clean up and travel time.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NJ

10-03-13, 02:14 PM   #3  
That's what I figured id do is charge by the hour to hard to figure what to charge for the job and to much to go wrong. I figure it would take 4 to 5 days to do correct me if im wrong. Thx for your input.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-03-13, 02:17 PM   #4  
How many steps? I can't imagine it taking me that long but I have many years of experience applying paint/poly.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Temporarily Suspended

NY

10-03-13, 04:48 PM   #5  
First decide how many days the job will take. Then multiply that by how much you want per day. Then add the price of materials.

So, if it's a 2 day job & you want $200 per day, take the $400 & add it to the price of materials.

Search this Thread