Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Repairing porcelain towel rack - help needed

Old 10-14-13, 06:22 PM

My bathroom has original tile (at least I think it is) and porcelain towel rack braces (the two end pieces) are set directly into the tile. One of them came loose and fell off. On the dubious advice of someone at my local hardware store, I tried Liquid Nails to reattach it, and failed miserably. My hunch is that I should be using cement or plaster, but I'm hoping there's something easier that I can use. See the attached photos - the gooey stuff you see in the first picture is the Liquid Nails, most of which I was able to pick off.

Any ideas of how I should be doing this?? (see photos - which I apologize are upside down!)

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-13, 03:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not a tile guy so I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they set those with the tile grout. Thinset might also be an option. Hopefully some of the guys that know more about tile than me will confirm ..... or set us straight

Old 10-15-13, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thinset from a dry mix (not grout) is what you want. It comes in white as well as gray and you can purchase a small 10lb box at the local box store. The box says glass mortar, but it should be fine. Chip out as much as you can of the old inside the hole down until you see concrete. Mix a small batch of thinset and smear some in the hole and lather some on the back of the holder (don't go crazy, but use enough that both surfaces meld together). Squeeze into the hole and clean up any that oozes out with a wet sponge. Don't leave any residue on the wall to dry. Keep the sponge clean. Use masking tape to hole the tile in place overnight. (don't forget to insert the rod before you thinset). The next day remove the tape and finish off the seam with caulk that matches the color of the grout (can't tell if white or gray).

Old 10-15-13, 10:13 AM
Thank you!! I knew there was something else I should be using. I essentially tried to do the same thing with the wrong product. I'm grateful for the help!