Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to remove plaster veneer from plaster walls?

FL

11-04-13, 02:38 PM   #1  
How to remove plaster veneer from plaster walls?

Background: Condo built in 1965 in south Florida.

I have multiple closets in my condo that has the wall surface cracking and blistering. From doing research it looks like I have plaster walls with a plaster veneer.... please correct me if I am wrong (see attached pictures).

I am trying to remove the surface to repair the cracks and repaint, but I need your advice.

1. How can I remove this surface easier? I am scraping but it is becoming very difficult and time consuming and I have multiple closets in the pictured condition.

2. Once I remove this surface is it okay to primer and paint straight onto the plaster? Or should I instead apply a new plaster veneer? If I try to primer the plaster, how much attention do I have to put into removing the dust that is embedded in the walls?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

My current plan is to manually scrape it off, then use the wire brush along with a damp sponge to clean the walls. Then use a double coat of primer/sealer before painting.

Tell me if this is a good plan or not. If shouldn't worry about getting it all off since it is a closet, or what you would do. Thanks.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-05-13, 02:56 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

You might be able to get a sound paint job by just cleaning up and priming the loose plaster but it won't look all that nice. It would be better to reapply the plaster, trying to mimic the texture so once painted - you'll never know there was an issue. I don't have any experience with plaster products so I generally use a setting compound like durabond instead when repairing plaster. With such a large area I might consider using regular joint compound as it has a longer work time and is more forgiving. Durabond dries hard like plaster, j/c dries to a softer finish.

Hopefully our plaster pro will have time to chime in later

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread