Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best way to remove cracked topcoat of plaster, and repair

WI

11-16-13, 01:50 PM   #1  
Best way to remove cracked topcoat of plaster, and repair

Hello.

Can someone instruct me on how to best remove this damaged topcoat of plaster, and reapply a finished product?

Please see pictures below.

Thank you

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

CAL

11-16-13, 07:54 PM   #2  
scrape with anything that will get it off. when it gets too hard to get it off then stop. When you get it off then we can tell you how to finish it.

WI

11-17-13, 06:50 AM   #3  
Sounds good. I'll use a painters tool and a putty knife. Then I'll let you know when. I'm done.

What if I damage the brown coat?

Thank you

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-17-13, 10:09 AM   #4  
Everything can be repaired. Once you removed the loose, take some pics and we can help you evaluate what needs to be done to make it right again.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

WI

11-17-13, 12:56 PM   #5  
Awesome! Thank you guys for your willingness to help me with this.

It should be noted, that I have rock lath, and not traditional wood lath.

Thank you

CAL

11-17-13, 01:16 PM   #6  
That you have RockLath is a good thing. It is hard to separate the plaster from the lath, where if it were wood lath you run the risk of loosening the plaster from the lath by too vigorous scraping. As a point of curiosity has the plaster eve gotten wet or has the house ever set through a. Season unheated?

WI

11-17-13, 01:32 PM   #7  
Good to know on the rock lath. I'm not sure on either of your questions. It almost looks like it could've suffered some water damage or from condensation. I just replaced the original window, so that shouldn't be an issue going forward.

Should I be able to remove most of the top coat? I want to remove all the damaged parts.

Thank you all again.

CAL

11-17-13, 01:47 PM   #8  
If you work hard enough at it you might get it all off but it should not be easy. usually the thicker it is the easier it is to remove. If you have to use a hammer to drive your scraper you should leave it. If you have an area say 3' square or in diameter and have a 6" spot in the middle that spot should come off If you have a spot 6" square that has sound finish around it then leave the rest. My rule of thumb is if it comes off easily it should come off. If it is hard to take it off it should stay. You have to decide what is easy and what is hard.

WI

11-17-13, 02:03 PM   #9  
Oh ok. Good to know. If some of the plaster is spidering, will I be able to repair that without removing it, if it doesn't want to come off?

Thank you

CAL

11-17-13, 02:10 PM   #10  
What do you mean spidering? Can you get a picture that shows it? If the finishis is curling like mud does in a puddle when it dries it should come off.

WI

11-17-13, 06:48 PM   #11  
Oh okay. The spidering and issues I'm experiencing is all in the pictures below.

Does it look like most of this will need to come off? If so, that's ok because I want to repair all the cracking and chipping. Can I use a utility blade and cut some of it away if there is no where for me to scrape?

Thanks again.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-18-13, 03:56 AM   #12  
If by spidering you mean minor cracks, I usually etch them out with the corner of my putty knife and then fill the groove with durabond.

You can also take a hammer and tap on the plaster, if it sounds hollow, it's probably not bonded well to the lath or base coat. Like TC, I figure if it's loose it needs to come off but if I have to struggle with it - it should be sound enough to stay ....... and save me the extra work

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread