Bevelled Drywall???

Old 11-28-13, 05:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bevelled Drywall???

I have some water damage drywall next to my shower. I cut out a section to see how thick it was and discovered something unexpected.

The drywall nearest the showered stall has a 2" bevelled edge. The rest of the section is 1/2" drywall. But the entire edge running along shower stall is noticeably thinner.

Not sure what to do. If I try to patch it with 1/2" drywall, it will really look bad.

Any thoughts on on what I can do?

Old 11-28-13, 06:15 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's just the outside long edge of the drywall. There all like that.
I never use that edge along that area. If you do you have to fill it all in with drywall compound and end up getting it all over the enclosure.
The taper works great for outside corners, along the wall to ceiling area or butt joints.

Old 11-28-13, 06:22 AM
All sheets of drywall have 3 of the 4 edges that are full thickness with the remaing edge * bevelled*. This is meant to be the *mud* joint when butting 2 sheets together.

If you have to butt up against this *bevelled* edge then do so with the same on the sheet of drywall used for repair. Once you have the two *bevelled* edges together it allows you to tape and *mud* to a flush joint.

Old 11-28-13, 06:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Actually, both of the 8' or 12' sides of the drywall have the beveled/tapered edge. It's designed that way to make it easier to hide the tape joint. As noted above, either use that section of your replacement drywall or fill in the existing edge with j/c to match the replacement piece.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 11-28-13, 06:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Votes on 823 Posts
Occasionally there will be places where the tapered edge of a sheet will meet the non-tapered butt end of a sheet... called a "ba$tard" joint. This is not that big of a deal, it just means the joint will need to be treated like a butt joint, and will need to be feathered out a little farther than it would if two tapered joints met.

You could go to the work of making sure you match a tapered edge up to a tapered edge, if that's possible, so that the cut edges are on the other sides of the piece.

Old 11-28-13, 07:41 AM
B
The bevel edge seems pretty big to me.

It's 2 inches wide and about 1/4" has been shaved off the 1/2" drywall.

I wonder if these drywall pieces were sold with the shower stall and they are a special product. The bevelling looks really well done. I would think it was milled or machined in some way.

I just know if I can shave off that much and not have the pieces break.

Old 11-28-13, 10:37 AM
Actually, both of the 8' or 12' sides of the drywall have the beveled/tapered edge
Duh on me ---- brain cramp.

Old 11-28-13, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Votes on 823 Posts
butch... you don't need to make a bevelled edge to match. If you put a straightedge on the wall, and measure back to the stud, you "should" find that 1/2" drywall will be smooth with the rest once it's all been taped and floated out.

It is possible that someone used 3/8" drywall... so that's a possibility. It's a little harder to find but you should use the same thickness as the existing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: