Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Patching Stud and Drywall from botched mounting attempt

WA

12-28-13, 09:49 PM   #1  
Patching Stud and Drywall from botched mounting attempt

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix a botched wall mount attempt done by a friend (who I thought knew what he was doing).

The depth of the holes into the stud are about 3 inches deep. Is there a way to fix the stud, and patch the wall so that if I wanted to try mounting a TV to it again, it'd be possible?

Attached are some pictures of the damage.

Thank you kindly.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-29-13, 04:46 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

I don't think I'd worry too much about the stud. The only way to repair it is to remove the drywall
How big is the biggest hole. Normally you just fill the holes with joint compound but if the hole is big enough to insert your finger - it might need drywall tape. Once the holes are filled, leveled off and dry, you need to texture the repair. On a small area like that you should be able to mimic the texture taking a little thinned downed j/c and applying it with a sponge. Those ink spots will need a solvent primer to seal them! I'd recommend using a pigmented shellac like Zinnser's BIN.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

WA

12-29-13, 08:20 PM   #3  
Thank you for the welcome and the reply!

The biggest hole is about 1.2m big so it's definitely smaller than any finger. Would you still recommend a joint compound (if so, any brand that you recommend?) to fill the hole and then just sand it so it looks even and one with the wall?

as for the pen marks, using a pigmented shellac like Zinnser's BIN would get rid of them?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-30-13, 03:18 AM   #4  
BIN doesn't necessarily get rid of the ink but it will prevent it from bleeding thru your wall paint.

Most any j/c will work although it will take multiple coats. The final coat will probably require a little sanding prior to texture. Regular j/c comes in 1 gallon and 5 gal buckets. It's easy to work with and sand but dries slow. Setting compounds [like durabond or easy sand] come in powder form that you mix with water. Because they dry chemically, setting compounds dry quicker. They come in different set times, the number on the bag indicates about how long it takes to dry [90 minutes, 45 min, 20 min, etc.] Setting compounds dry harder which makes them harder to sand but the neater you apply the mud the less you need to sand.

I hate to mention it as it isn't professional looking but a quick easy fix would be to fill the hole with latex caulk. This method will never make the repair disappear but with the holes filled it won't be as noticeable.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread