Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fixing these weird cracks/ lines in walls?

TX

01-04-14, 07:29 AM   #1  
Fixing these weird cracks/ lines in walls?

I am not even sure what these are and how to go about fixing them. They are so thin that my finger nail barley fits into them. These are cracks right? Cant be peeling paint.

Also I have been trying to tighten my bathroom toilet paper holder for forever and no matter what I replace it still hangs uneven from the wall. I am at the point where I want to remove the whole thing and patch it with patching plaster then prime, sand and paint over it. Can anyone instruct me on going about repairing the wall holes from the toilet paper holder after I remove it? Thanks.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

MN

01-04-14, 08:23 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

The cracks I would fill with some paintable caulk (about $2) and paint it.

The toilet paper dispenser you might have to remove it and install some anchors in the wall to get it to stay in place.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

TX

01-04-14, 08:55 AM   #3  
Thank you so much! I did try the anchors thing but It did not help, the toilet paper roll still sagged from the wall. Also do you think that I could put patching plaster over the wall, sand it, then prime and paint if i should remove the holder all together? I ask because I hastily put some on there from when I was fixing some peeling paint. Should have thought first. What do you recommend? Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-04-14, 01:50 PM   #4  
I normally use a setting compound like Durabond when making repairs to plaster walls. I'd scratch out the cracks and fill them with durabond. It's hard to sand so it's best to apply it fairly neat. You could also use the durabond to patch the holes from the holder after it's removed. What kind of anchors did you use? They might work better at another section of the wall that is in better shape.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TX

01-04-14, 05:29 PM   #5  
Thanks so much! You answered all I needed to know!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

01-05-14, 06:56 AM   #6  
Should be trying to attach one side to a stud, the other side I'd be using a toggle bolt.
Just patching the old holes is going to do nothing to add strength to the wall.
If you just trying to use those cheap plastic inserts it's never going to hold.

Search this Thread