drywall repair using glue

Old 01-07-14, 12:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drywall repair using glue

Repair 1: The layer of drywall on the surface of the wall is broken, but the cardboard underneath is intact. All I need to do is attach a sheet of drywall to the cardboard.
Repair 2: The drywall has a large hole in it that requires a wooden plank to fix.

For these two repairs I would like to use glue instead of screws. Would this get damaged by heat/cold over the next few years, or would it hold indefinitely? If it would hold, what type(s) of glue should I use?

Last edited by ThomR; 01-07-14 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 01:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Thom!

A pic or two would be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

I'm not sure what you mean by the cardboard you intend to glue the new drywall to. Drywall is ground up gypsum rock sandwiched between two layers of paper. They sell drywall adhesive in caulking tubes but I'm not sure I'd want to rely on adhesive alone to hold the drywall.

Old 01-07-14, 01:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Aside from set up time, glue may work. Not Elmer's. Why no screws? Why not spackling or setting compound?

Old 01-07-14, 02:48 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
@marksr
I don't have anything to take pictures with, but I will describe in detail.
Repair 1: The ground rock has broken off the wall, but the paper beneath it is still intact. I cut a bit of the paper off and there is actually wood beneath it. It isn't a wall between 2 rooms, but is a wall between my room and closet.
Repair 2: The hole is just a large hole, through which the inside of the wall is visible. This is a dividing wall between two rooms.

@chandler
I do plan on using compound. My repairs follow the drywall repair guide on this site, the only difference is using glue instead of screws. The reason is that I don't have a power drill or a drywall hammer. Since I rarely use screws or fix drywall, I would rather not have to buy these tools.

Old 01-07-14, 02:58 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not a problem. I understand the not manually screwing theory fully! I would not use glue mainly for the viscosity. You can make a patch for the larger one and use spackling(harder to sand) or dry wall patch compound. You will be finishing the surface anyway, with thin layers, so if the patch isn't perfect, your subsequent coats will blend it well.

Old 01-07-14, 05:44 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
What is the size of the holes? Maybe you can use butterfly patches or sometimes they are called hot patches. If these are about the size of your hand we can tell you how to do it.

There is also a way to use glue like liquid nails to install a backer.

Cut the wood to fit larger than the hole. YOu are going to glue this to the back side of the drywall. Get another piece of wood or more than one if this is large and make it larger than the hole and perpendicular to the first piece. What you are going to do it put one behind the wall and the other in front and then take some wire or stout string and tie the two together to with the existing drywall in between to hold until the glue sets then take off the piece(s) in front and glue the new piece of drywall to fit the hole.

I fear I did not describe this very well. I would have it done in the time it took to type this.

Old 01-07-14, 07:19 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it's a small hole just buy one of these and a small tub of drywall finishing compound and a 6" drywall knife.
Wal-Board Tools 8 in. x 8 in. Drywall Repair Self Adhesive Wall Patch-54-007 at The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: