Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hairline cracks around the door

MA

01-13-14, 05:48 AM   #1  
Hairline cracks around the door

Hello everyone,

I noticed some hairline cracks around my master bath door. I do have some other cracks on other doors/windows, but mostly are along the seams. This set of cracks puzzles me a lot. I attached one pic here. Thanks.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

01-13-14, 06:48 AM   #2  
Very common to see cracks there around windows and doors caused by settling, drywall installed wrong or shrink swell soils.
About all you can do is use paper tape to patch.

MA

01-13-14, 07:18 AM   #3  
Thanks joecaption1.

I do have other cracks right above door/window and straight up, so it is more than likely on the seam. However these cracks are in 45 degree angle, multiple in a small area. Even they are just hairline, I don't know if there are any structural concerns behind it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-13-14, 09:21 AM   #4  
More than likely it's a settlement crack, how old is hour house?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MA

01-13-14, 10:19 AM   #5  
Thanks Mark. It is 6 yr old house. Sorry for poor quality pic. Actually there are 4 cracks in the pic. Under the major one, there are two. The immediately below one is actually connected with the major one by another crack. All fine hairline cracks though.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-13-14, 01:45 PM   #6  
I wouldn't be overly concerned with them. It's normal for the wood framing to shrink some along with possible settlement. As long as the cracks don't grow or come back [if your repair them] there shouldn't be any concern.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MA

01-13-14, 05:09 PM   #7  
Hi Mark, Thanks so much. I probably wait a little bit.

Group Moderator

NE

01-13-14, 05:46 PM   #8  
They may have come from the trim carpenters beating on the drywall before they installed the casing. If the drywall is sticking out a little too far they will sometimes beat the drywall down with their hammer so that the casing (trim) lays flat. They may have been tiny cracks that are just getting a little more obvious now as the others mentioned.

Are these cracks on the same side of the door as the hinges? Or are they on the side of the door with the knob? The cracks could also be developing if the door is being slammed shut quite hard.... like by an angry youngster. (or wife).

MA

01-14-14, 07:09 AM   #9  
It is on the hinge side. My boys have been pretty gentle on these doors. That's only good thing.

Search this Thread