Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Plaster ceiling/wall tear out; confused on type of plaster/substrate?

Plaster ceiling/wall tear out; confused on type of plaster/substrate?

Old 01-20-14, 05:29 PM
Question Plaster ceiling/wall tear out; confused on type of plaster/substrate?

Hi, I recently had a pipe burst in the unfinished portion of the attic in my 1933 bungalow. The ceiling directly below where the pipe burst is damaged, as is the ceiling and 2 walls in an adjoining bathroom. They all need to be removed and replaced (along with the insulation resting directly above the ceiling ) I've researched some online but am still trying to figure out what type of plaster this ceiling and wall has. I've attached pictures of 1) the ceiling close up, 2) a preexisting opening someone in the past made in the bathroom wall (there was a mirror hanging over this opening previously, I think a medicine cabinet before that) & 3) the ceiling further out showing the water damage before I removed the white outer layer. It seems like the upper half of the bathroom walls are plaster and the bottom half drywall.

I removed the majority of the decorative (top coat?) plaster. The water damaged areas pretty much just pulled off. Other areas required a scraper. Directly behind the white finish is a tan material, about 1/2-5/8" thick and from what I can best tell, the wood lath is directly behind that. Would the tan material be the "brown board"? In the first picture, you can see remnants of what I think was pink paint? Someone later must have applied the white coat over the top of that? Ideas on most efficient way to demo the ceiling or wall (if there is such a thing)? Anyways, any comments on what I may have here are definitely appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-14, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not well versed in plaster but basically old plaster consists of the lath, brown coat [base] and the top coat of plaster. I normally use drywall products to repair plaster as it's more diy friendly. I'd remove the loose, install drywall where it will fit [it should be shy of the plaster level - never proud] and then use a setting compound like Durabond to finish it off.

Old 01-21-14, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info. If the water damage wasn't so prevalent the idea of patching in w/ drywall would work great, but I think the whole thing has to come down.

Old 01-22-14, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tearing it out and installing drywall was my first thought You'll have to remove all the crown molding. You can leave the lath but remember the drywall will need to be secured to the ceiling joists, screwing to the lath won't be enough support.