My first time...

Old 02-03-14, 07:26 PM
My first time...

So it will be my first time attempting to plaster drywall I put up in my daughters room. It's all new drywall so I have the entire room to do. I guess what I'm here to ask is if anyone has any good videos or even website to help with this project. What are the easiest ways for a beginner like myself? Already mixed or mix it myself? Do I do the entire wall like I see some people doing on youtube or do only the gaps?

I would appreciate any guidance. It seems all I can find on Youtube is people mixing up there own mud and doing the entire wall. I can't seem to find someone starting from scratch and a whole project doing only the gaps using already mixed mud.

Thanks for your time.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-14, 03:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know of any vids but would expect if you search for drywall finishing [not skim coating] you should be able to find some.

Ready mix mud is probably better for the novice. It works best if you thin it slightly and it doesn't have a set work time like setting compound and is easier to sand. Basically you apply a thin layer of mud over the joints, press in your paper tape and then take you drywall knife to press it down and smooth it out removing the excess mud in the process. The tape has a crease in it which allows you to 'fold' it for the inside corners. The outside corners use corner bead. All the joints and screw/nails normally need 3 coats of mud with the final coat sanded. Skim coating gives an ultra nice finish but you need to do the taping/finishing first!

Last edited by marksr; 02-04-14 at 04:19 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 02-04-14, 04:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm confused, are you just trying to finish the seams and nail holes, or for reason covering the whole wall?
If just doing the seams and nail holes go on You Tube. There's hundreds of videos showing step by step.
The key is to apply it in thin coats. Done right you should only have to sand the last coat.

Old 02-04-14, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the responses. And yes I'm trying to fill cracks and screw holes as it's all new drywall I just put up. Just had a hard time finding good videos that show the how to. The advice given here should help me. Thanks.