repair of textured ceiling

Old 03-04-01, 06:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

House built in l986. Need to duplicate textured ceiling over replaced piece of drywall. Appears as if broad brush was used to create waves of texture. What sort of joint compound or spackling should I use? Is there a finishing product on the market? Or do I mix it myself? How do I apply it?
Appreciate any help. Can't find this via Search.
trex88

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-01, 09:25 PM
Go to your local paint store and tell them your situation. They sometimes know what they are doing. You will have to buy Texture paint. The question is how to get the effect your looking for. They will be able to help.

-P.s. if you are going to repaint the entire ceiling after you are done, throw a little primer in with the texture paint.

Old 03-17-01, 06:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Trex
you could use topping compound is the best for texturing
the problem you may encounter is that you will have lapping of the textures, what we do in this type of job we end up scraping the whole ceiling down and then we retexture, I have been in the plastering and drywall trade for 18 yrs now and I have yet to see anyone match a texture that doesn't look like a patch job, Good Luck
Frank
Frankawitz Custom Painting &
Plastering Repairs

Old 04-03-01, 06:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Posted a reply yesterday. It's lost.

Found a way to match ceiling. Used "Lightweight All Purpose Compound" Found the slow drying type, which is easier to work with for this purpose. Directions are to add a little water for each successive application. I only needed two.

After applying tape with one coat of spackle, used a flexible blade to roughly apply spackle in wavy pattern. To duplicate "drippy" look, put the blade flat to ceiling, then pulled down and let go. The texture matches up perfectly.

Primed, then painted with paint computer-matched to a piece of the damaged ceiling.

Want to thank you for replies. Thought if I experimented, results may help someone else.