Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

bathroom wall not leveled, contractor put thick layer of compound & it cracks

bathroom wall not leveled, contractor put thick layer of compound & it cracks

Old 02-23-14, 09:02 PM
Unhappy bathroom wall not leveled, contractor put thick layer of compound & it cracks

I have a small bathroom. the first contractor did not level the drywall correctly when installed so when the shower tile was installed in the middle of the drywall it shows the "curve"

the second contractor applied a thick layer of compound to even it all out.. the area where its the deepest its "cracking" the compound when it dried up..

besides ripping out the wall, the new installed tiles, shower. what are our options of filling the half inch or so dip thats int he wall without having it crack over time? applying a "fence" in there? please help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-14, 04:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

You might be able to fill the cracks with more joint compound. Your contractor used the wrong material or at least applied it incorrectly. Regular j/c shouldn't be applied thickly, when a lot of build up is need it's best to use a setting compound like Durabond.

Pics might help us better assess what you are dealing with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 02-24-14, 05:30 AM
here are the images

what are my options now?

Name:  2014-02-24 08.18.05.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  10.5 KBName:  2014-02-24 08.18.11.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  13.3 KBName:  2014-02-24 08.18.13.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  14.6 KBName:  2014-02-24 08.18.15.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  10.2 KBName:  2014-02-24 08.18.19.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  17.9 KBName:  2014-02-24 08.18.22.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  14.2 KB

Attached Images     
Old 02-24-14, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
I would really question how the shower area was built and what's behind the tile as seeing mud that thick is enough to make me question the other work. Did they use standard gypsum board, green board, Hardi backer or cement board??? Seeing sheet rock mud applied so thick to crack like that is a warning sign, especially right next to a shower. More mud could be applied to fill in the cracks, and sanded smooth.

Old 02-24-14, 06:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My guess is the dip was caused because he did not add 1/4 lattes to shim out the wall so the sheetrock would not have to curve where it meets the enclosure.
Sanding out the high spots and applying some more general purpose drywall compound with a 12" wide knife in thin coats will make it look better.

Old 02-24-14, 08:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Once the drywall is dressed up, sanded, dust removed and primed - you should caulk the gap between the drywall and the tub surround.

Old 02-24-14, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm with Pilot on this one and questioning the build. Bullnose or Mud cap molding should have been used. Which means if they did use CBU they applied it on top of something else for the wall to stand out that much. If the wall is still 1/2" out from being in line with the shower, did they not add a stud to that area and the drywall is floating? The tile was also installed flush to the adjacent with zero grout lines - How did they waterproof underneath? It also looks like Marble which others have advised as not a good candidate for a shower as it absorbs water.

We need more info on how the shower was constructed or pictures you may have taken during the build.

Old 02-24-14, 06:54 PM
behind the shore marble id durock, and on top of that they used water proof membrane thing.. it was pin/red they painted it on.

where the drywall starts they used green boards. I believe the studs weren't leveled properly hence it created that "dip/gap"

the guy sais he will sand it down when it dry's up and apply the compound again until it is smooth and flat/leveled.

we are using Miracle 511 sealant on the marble.

I was told to use Fushion grout, but I am thinking to use epoxy grout.