Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ugly wallpaper or protective barrier over plaster?

MT

02-24-14, 10:22 AM   #1  
Ugly wallpaper or protective barrier over plaster?

This is a copy of an email I sent to *****I am waiting for a response from them but would like more opinions.

"We live in Butte Mt, a cold cold place. Our house was built in 1915 and the plaster looks great in most of the house except the master bedroom. The room had paneling glued up over the plaster and we tore that down. We discovered a paper like layer over the plaster. I don't know if the paper was used as a finishing coat on the plaster or what, it is not decorative by any means and when we peel some off, the plaster underneath is very rough. It looks like the whole house has this paper, I can see seams throughout the house. Also when we were house shopping I remember noticing wrinkled corners in some of the houses we looked at and the realtor said it was the wallpaper they put up when building the older (1890's-1920?) homes and we should just paint over it - don't remove it. Do you know anything about using paper as a part of the plastering process? If so how do I repair cracks in the wall? Do I remove the paper, repair the crack and skim coat the wall? Do I need to use your spray on the whole wall to get the skim coat to stick?"

Name:  IMG_20140224_110302.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  17.2 KB

Last edited by pinkaviator; 02-24-14 at 01:13 PM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-24-14, 03:03 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not overly knowledgeable about plaster but I know often on older homes a wallpaper like product is applied to both hide the many cracks and help hold the plaster together. We have a few members that are well versed in plaster so stay tuned - hopefully they'll have time to reply.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread