Orange Peel Texture Patching

Old 03-07-14, 02:20 PM
Question Orange Peel Texture Patching

Hi Everyone,

I recently repaired some old plaster beneath a window... must have gotten wet years back prior to moving in. We've been here for a year and haven't allowed water in or around this window, so who knows when this actually happened?

I scrapped all the loose, old plaster out and replaced with fresh compound. Everything is pretty flush, I'd say I have one more coat and a sand to do yet.

As you can see, the walls surrounding the repair was textured and painted.

Any ideas about the techniques required to match new texture with the pre-existing texture?

I attached some photos which should make provide some visuals.

Thanks!
~cable

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-14, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's a splatter coat, it's achieved by thinning down joint compound and spraying it thru a hopper using the right orifice to match the existing texture. You can buy aerosol cans of orange peel and I think they have different tips which might give the same texture - I never use the texture rattle cans so I'm not very familiar with them. You might also be able to do a decent job by flicking on thinned down j/c with a brush, I've heard of some using a scrap piece of carpet. Do be afraid to practice, if it turns out bad it's easy to wipe it off while wet or sand it down when dry.