Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

patching and painting over the patches

MO

03-10-14, 02:31 AM   #1  
patching and painting over the patches

I have been repainting and cannot figure out what to do about drywall patches which show through the paint. I have used primer on occasion and paint which claims to contain primer but the patches continue to show through the paint. I could use some advise on what to do.

Also, I have to patch a bathroom ceiling because of water damage and the ceiling is textured to look like dripping paint or some such thing. Is there anything I can do to make it look the same?

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-10-14, 04:34 AM   #2  
It sounds like it's probably a texture issue. Even slick finished walls will have a roller stipple 'texture' from the various coats of paint. Most textures can be replicated using thinned down joint compound. The application technique varies depended on the type of texture you are trying to match although a sponge often works well for small areas.

The bath rm ceilings sounds like it might be a splatter coat, pics would be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MO

03-10-14, 06:32 AM   #3  
pic

This was a real pain to do and I hope it worked.

Name:  more 008.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  49.6 KB

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-10-14, 08:17 AM   #4  
It looks like that texture may have been rolled on thinned downed j/c and possibly patted with a sponge to create the texture. How big of an area do you need to match?

MO

03-10-14, 11:26 PM   #5  

The spot shown and another about a foot long by 4 inches.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-11-14, 04:55 AM   #6  
Once the repairs are made, I'd thin down some j/c and dab it on with a coarse sponge. The thinner the j/c, the lighter the texture will be. It might take a little experimenting to get the right consistency.

MO

03-11-14, 08:18 AM   #7  
other part of the post painting over patches

Any idea what to do to stop the patches from showing through the paint and also sorry to ask but what is j/c?

Thank you for your help.

Group Moderator

WI

03-11-14, 10:17 AM   #8  
J/c is joint compound.

Yes, you need to match the texture, which is what Mark is walking you through, and then prime the repair in order for it to not show through the paint.

Keep in mind that paint tends to make flaws more apparent, not less, so it all has to look pretty good before you get to painting.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-11-14, 10:39 AM   #9  
Drywall repairs on existing walls/ceilings almost always need texture to make them blend. Sometimes all that is needed is a faint light texture - it all depends on what the existing wall looks like. You can practice your texture technique and j/c [joint compound] thickness on scrap cardboard or even on the wall as it's easy to wipe off while wet or sand off when dry.

MO

03-12-14, 12:17 AM   #10  
Thank you to all of you for your help. I think I have a better understanding of how to address the problem. I really appreciate your expertise and willingness to share.

Search this Thread