Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Repair stipped ceiling where wall was removed

Old 03-29-14, 03:01 PM

We removed a wall from our kitchen. Now we need to fill that in. I'm thinking we would fill it with drywall, then fill the cracks around it. However I'm not sure about how to apply the joint compound with the existing stipple around it.
Name:  ceiling repair.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  47.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-14, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

You will need to install some drywall in the hole (likely 5/8"). Scrape off the texture and then do a tape coat otherwise the repair will just crack. Paper tape is commonly preferred. After two more coats of joint compound over the tape, you will sand it smooth and then re-texture.

Bad news is unless you, or somebody you hire is very good, the texture will be hard to match perfectly. For a perfect repair all the old texture will likely need to be removed and then resprayed.

Old 03-30-14, 04:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the thickness of the drywall first! Ceilings should be 5/8" but I've painted 100's of houses where the builder cheaped out, used 1/2" and hoped the popcorn texture would hide it.

As TI said, you'll need to scrape of the texture surrounding the repair. Use paper tape, the mesh 'sticky' tape has a poor track record. Make sure the tape coat is good and dry before you apply more joint compound. I've blended in the texture on jobs like that before but generally the whole ceiling will need a repaint to make it disappear completely. I've always used a hopper gun to spray the texture [it comes in fine, medium and coarse] You can buy an aerosol can of texture but it might not make for a seamless repair.

Old 03-30-14, 07:43 PM
Thanks

How big of surrounding area do I need to scrape off?

Old 03-31-14, 04:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
However far you'll need to spread the mud for a seamless repair. Probably 6"-12" on each side.