Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

swirl or easy drywall texture on ceiling?

SC

04-15-14, 09:24 AM   #1  
swirl or easy drywall texture on ceiling?

I am installing the drywall on my garage ceiling and I am not the best in the world at finishing. I have always hired someone to do any large taping and finishing jobs on the inside of the house but I figure I can do some kind of texture on the garage ceiling to cover the inperfections of my taping and finishing job. I know that as a kid my dad did some kind of swirl on his ceilings maybe using a mop head or something.

So I am looking for some info or ideas on things I could do like that.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-15-14, 12:17 PM   #2  
Of all the textures I've had to replicate over the yrs, a swirl texture was the most difficult .... but maybe it was me I'd suggest thinning down some joint compound, rolling it on the ceiling and then either take a round brush or crow's foot brush and give it a stomp texture.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

OR

04-18-14, 07:41 PM   #3  
I'm somewhat of a klutz when it comes to drywall texturing, so take my advice accordingly. My hanging and taping skills are all right, but texturing is always another adventure.

I've found a "sponge-float dabble" works OK, especially if using watered-down joint compound in a paint tray. I've worn out several dense foam sponge floats doing it over the years, and it meets the quick-and-easy criteria quite well. If you want to spend more time and effort, a knock-down (brocade) finish is also worth trying--the trick is knowing how long to let the peaks sit before knocking them flat with a steel trowel. Too soon and you've got nothing, too late and you've got a mess.

Search this Thread