Peeling paint removal

Old 04-23-14, 12:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peeling paint removal

I just bought a house and I was taking down some shelves that were screwed to the wall and the paint started to peel when I was taking the shelves off. I pulled on a few pieces and it looks like there might be wall paper beneath the paint because when the paint was coming off in chunks, what was left looked like paper fibers (see pictures attached). I'm assuming this is wallpaper and that before I repaint the room, this should really be completely removed if I want it done right. I've never had to remove painted wallpaper before, should I just stick with the score, steam, and peel method? What do y'all think?

Attached Images    
Old 04-23-14, 01:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The 1st pic looks like wallpaper but the 2nd doesn't [more like peeled paint]

The main thing is to scrape off everything that is loose. I don't know how effective a steamer will be over painted wallpaper. The paint stops the moisture from getting to the adhesive, scoring helps but might not be enough. I'd start by scraping off whatever comes off without dynamite and then reassess where you are at and proceed accordingly. Depending on what it looks like when you are done scraping you'll probably need to apply a coat of Zinnser's Gardz before doing any patching/texturing.

Old 04-24-14, 08:51 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I'll get to peeling and see what lies underneath the rest of the paint, it's not on the top of the to-do list but it's definitely on the list now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: