Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Patched & painted small drywall repairs without priming. Fix?

Old 05-04-14, 03:59 PM

I've made a few patches with drywall compound on walls that have been painted less than a year ago. Usually 2-3 coats of drywall compound followed by some sanding, and then wiping patch area lightly with damp towel to get rid of the dust. Then I would paint (using the same can used when the whole wall was done).

Afterwards, the patch area always comes out lighter and the area surrounding the patch almost looks as if there are oily spots or blemishes. And the patch is smooth while the wall is orange peel texture so it stands out even more.

After some research, looks like my problem was not priming the sanded sheetrock before painting. If I want to fix this, would I simply just prime the painted surface and repaint? And is it normal for a half-inch hole to turn into a 6inch patch? Just trying to improve or find out what I'm doing wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-14, 03:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I wouldn't condone not using a primer, I'm not convinced that caused the color difference and I don't see how adding primer over the paint would help. I did you use one line of paint yrs ago that was notorious for fading slightly after 6 months or so.

It's normal for the patch size to grow as you repair it. Adding texture will make the repair area a little bigger too. Lack of texture will change how the repair reflect light which might account for the perceived color difference. I'd thin down some joint compound to texture the repair or you could buy an aerosol can of texture. Once the repair is finished/dry, prime and paint.

almost looks as if there are oily spots or blemishes
I don't understand would it show up in a pic? what color is on the wall?

Old 05-05-14, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It should have been primed first, and no, primer and paint in one does not count.
Using a higher nap roller will give you the slight texture your looking for.
Use the same roller to apply the primer.

Old 05-05-14, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the wall has a orange peel texture, rolled on paint won't duplicate it, if it's a slick finished wall with a roller stipple 'texture' rolling will bring back the stipple but it will probably take more than 2 rolled coats. On slick finished walls with multiple coats of rolled paint I normally apply a light texture to mimic the roller stipple because it speeds things up.

Old 05-05-14, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, two issues - the lack of primer caused flashing by the paint not absorbing at the same rate around the patch and also that there's texture which would need to be matched as well.

Old 05-06-14, 06:10 AM
Tried taking a pic but the difference is not noticeable for some reason in the jpg file. Even up close it's hard to see & unless you already knew what used to be there.

So the first issue is that the shade of the paint looks a little lighter than the rest of the wall. Some quick reading told me the lack of primer may cause different absorption rates or something which could possibly explain the difference in shade. marksr - I'm using Behr from Home Depot; is this the brand you experienced fading after 6 months?

The second issue, "oil/blemish"; looks kind of like what you would see if you had greasy fingers rubbing the wall. This is just a bedroom so it doesn't see grease like a kitchen would. I used a small roller (maybe 4" wide).

My second reason for asking this thread is to determine if adding a layer of primer over this completed work would be a sufficient approach to fix the bad look. Or do I need to sand this down? Or can I even just add another layer of paint & forget the primer since the current top layer is already the same paint?

Old 05-06-14, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless you add j/c or texture I doubt primer would help any. I've only used a few odd gallons of Behr and don't know much about it's idiosyncrasies. I think the name of the paint I had fading issues with was 'builder's choice' It was a line of paint that SWP came out with and wanted me to try. It preformed well unless you had to go back to paint repairs made under the builder's 1 yr warranty.

Could the 'oily' issue be burnishing? That's where the paint has been rubbed giving the paint a slight sheen. Some paints are affected more than others.

Old 06-07-14, 06:37 AM
How to Fix Mudded Seams That Have Been Painted

Moved to new thread as it was a question, not a reply

Last edited by MNuttle; 06-07-14 at 08:41 AM.