Plaster Patch over Drywall

Old 05-05-14, 04:38 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plaster Patch over Drywall

I am a renter and most of my apartment has plaster walls. It is an old home that was converted. There was a hole in my bathroom wall probably one inch high by three inches wide and quite deep from where a towel hook hung. The towel hook had been bumped multiple times with my shoulder and was pretty much falling out. Creating the hole. The hole was very crumbly and deep.I assumed that my bathroom was plaster as well so I just mixed up some plaster of paris and patched up the wall. Today after inspecting the bathroom wall a bit more I'm afraid that the bathroom is drywall not plaster. And my plaster patch is not drying and the edges are turning a rust color.

Have I just completely ruined this wall? HELP please!

Old 05-05-14, 04:59 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Should be simple enough to figure out if it's drywall or plaster.
Drywalls only 1/2 thick and have paper on both sides of it. Plaster would have wood lath or tile board behind it.
A hole that size should have had some form of backer installed to support the repair or a patch cut out if it was drywall.
4 Steps to Patch Drywall | DoItYourself.com

Old 05-05-14, 05:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How old is the apartment bldg? You do realize you should have notified the landlord. I don't know much about plaster of paris but I've patched a lot of plaster walls with drywall products. I assume the PoP not drying is an issue with either the product or how it was mixed. How deep/wide was the hole?

Old 05-05-14, 05:29 AM
N
Probably about 80 years old. But I'm about 90% possitive that the bathroom was a later addition. I know I should've notified my landlord. That would have been the correct way to go about things, but I didn't

The hole was definately over 1/2 inch deep. I would say an an inch and a half maybe? I guess my biggest concern is if it is drywall....is it the end of the world to have patched it with PoP?

And secondly, assuming that the wall is plaster and all is well then will the PoP eventually dry but maybe I'm just not giving it enough time?

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 05-05-14, 11:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Since the wall is that thick, the odds are it's plaster. I've never used PoP and know little about it. I normally use a setting compound like Durabond to make plaster repairs. We have a couple of members that are plaster pros so hopefully they'll have time to chime in later.

Old 05-05-14, 01:57 PM
T
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Plaster of Paris usually sets very quickly and gets very hard. If it has not dried, (I assume what you mean by dried is set) just scrape it out and try again with some fresher stuff. There has to be something behind the plaster. You can't just plaster on air. Probably the plaster is over wood lath and maybe the lath is broken. Feel around in the hole and see if there is some wood beside and above and below the hole behind the lath. If there is then chip a little more of the plaster away and . . . .

You know, skip all of this, Just confess to the landlord and let it be his problem. Yes, he might charge a little or withhold some deposit. He probably knows people who do this and it is easier than telling you about it.

If you are set on doing this yourself then search around here. Different ones of us have described many times how to do a little patch like this. There are a few approaches any of them are fine. Just look around and then choose the one you think you can do the most easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: