New shower installation

Old 05-06-14, 06:41 AM
New shower installation

Hello gang, been busy remodeling bathroom on main floor and I have a problem with the drywall finishing. I roughed-in the fiberglass 2piece unit and now I need to hide the flange of the unit that meets the wall. Do I place drywall (over) the flange or but up to it? I have visited several bathrooms of my friends & family, but all have ceramic tiles of some sort... no help there!
I left room in the rough enclosure to accommodate finish. Fiber glass unit is 48" left to right, front to back its 34" and height is 72" Rough opening is 2" deeper for the finish and three walls are to the 96".

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 05-06-14 at 07:10 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Overlap the drywall onto the flange and finish with a nice bead of caulk to fill the gap. You may have to add a stud adjacent to attach the drywall in the vertical plane and shim it so that the drywall does not crack when you screw/nail it down. Do not try to butt the flange and fill in a huge gap with joint compound. It will crack out on you.

Old 05-06-14, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can overlap the drywall onto the flange so that the gaps can be covered up. add a stud so that you can attach the drywall with vertical plane so that wall do not crack down when you try to screw it and if you are going to butt the flange please don't because it will crack out.