Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Easiest technique for restoring/covering over plaster walls?

Old 05-15-14, 04:43 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a new (old) home and, as expected, when I ripped down some wood paneling, I found plaster walls with some moderate cracks. By that I mean that the cracks are not wide, although they range from a few inches to a few feet. In some cases, by touching them & feeling a little give, I get the sense that they are clearly separated from the lathe. The wall is also covered by an old wall paper that was later painted over. (Another room, however, has a wall paper that easily comes off and just has bare plaster underneath.)

Anyway, I'm looking for the least effort way to get the walls in shape in this one room. I have come across numerous techniques online, including:
  • Repair cracks (usually scrape out and put some sort of compound in them)
  • Repair large unattached areas by cutting out and inserting sheetrock of comparable depth
  • Repair large unattached areas by drilling holes and injecting some sort of adhesive
  • Repair areas with plastic washers
  • Remove the plaster down to the lathe and install sheetrock
  • Remove the plaster down to the studs and install sheetrock
  • Install 1/4" sheetrock over the plaster wall and then tape & apply joint compound
  • Cover the plaster wall with a bridging material/lining paper

It's all a little confusing to make sense of what is the most efficient. While I am a fan of historic preservation, my house isn't necessarily that special that I feel the need to go the extra mile. I'm looking to be pragmatic and efficient.

Any thoughts on what direction(s) to go? I imagine I've probably missed other techniques as well.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-14, 02:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A lot depends on the particular wall. I usually scratch out the cracks and then fill it with a setting compound like Durabond. You could use regular ready mix joint compound but you'd need to use drywall tape with it to prevent the patching from cracking. Hanging a wallpaper backer is also an option - usually done when there are multiple cracks and the plaster needs something to help hold it together.

The biggest reasons for tearing out and hanging drywall is that allows you to update electrical and insulation but that is also the messiest option. If you laminate the plaster with drywall you'll want to remove the trim which will need to be altered/cut a little to make it fit the now slightly smaller room.

I'm not a plaster pro, just a painter that occasionally repairs plaster for my customers prior to painting. Hopefully one of our plaster pros will have time to chime in later.

Old 05-16-14, 02:59 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'll never understand why paneling didn't make it passed the 60s. At the most, it has to be cleaned occasionally. Otherwise, it's maintenance free.

Old 05-16-14, 06:12 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Without knowing your skill level or the size of the room and a better understanding of the conditions I don't know what approach might be most appropriate for you.

I have plastered over cracked walls with a combination of bonding agent, veneer plaster base coat with fiberglass mesh and lime putty finish coat. I have also applied a fiberglass mesh and dura bond with fine sand over cracked walls and followed that up with a coat of ready-mixed or easy sand setting compound.

I have also taped joints in paneling and skim coated the whole surface with dura bond etc., as stated above.... as long as the paneling is well attached.

If you think you may have continued issues with cracking/delaminating plaster then the best thing would be to either cover it with 1/4" and finish the joints or remove everything and do mechanical upgrades as suggested and apply new 1/2" or 5/8" drywall.

If you like your current trim then I would probably choose the 1/4" route.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: