Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plaster or someting else??

NV

05-30-14, 04:53 AM   #1  
Plaster or someting else??

The walls in my place appear to be sheetrock but then when I cut into a wall I noticed there is a metal grill/screen that the material is affixed on.

Ive seen plaster with wood lathe but that is not what this is.... is this a different type of lathe?

Also, when I need to replace small portion of wall, how would I do this with that metal stuff in mind? Do I snip it off and then just use regular piece of drywall nd tape and sand the edges etc?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-30-14, 07:40 AM   #2  
pics might be helpful

While wood and gypsum lath are the most common, there are times when metal lath is used .... I'm not too familiar with it I usually replace missing plaster with drywall and then finish it off to match the plaster.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NV

05-30-14, 09:28 AM   #3  
thanks but a photo would entail breaking the wall...

All I can say the metal grill material has diamond shaped mesh slightly smaller than a dime openings. House is about 60 years old if that speaks to what type of material this is.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-30-14, 09:33 AM   #4  
Sometimes they use a metal reinforcement lath just in the corners or other high stress areas. Do you know if it's everywhere? or just select places?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

06-01-14, 03:33 PM   #5  
If the whole house is built like this it is first quality commercial grade construction.If the plaster is applied directly to the diamond mesh metal lath (not lathe) and that lath is not applied over gypsum lath then to fix it the best way is with plaster. Not a complicated fix. I am not inclined to post the whole procedure here for a "maybe it will need fixed". Now maybe the diamond mesh is in angles only and may a short piece about 8" X 12"-16" above and below the corners of the windows and doors. Maybe the corner bead also has expanded metal wings.
So how did you discover this? Can you see it from the back side? How big is the repair you need to make?

CT

06-02-14, 04:52 AM   #6  
its plaster. They used really high strength plaster with metal grilling in it I think before they went drywall.
Its a royal pain in theass to tear out.

CAL

06-03-14, 07:30 PM   #7  
You asked about filling in a spot if you tear it out. What is behind the diamond mesh lath? Is there wood framing to fasten drywall to? If so then it is simply a matter of shimming out the drywall to just shy of flush and taping and filling. There must be dozens of posts here about how to do that. If no wood framing then screw supports behind the plaster and screw drywall to that. Only thing is e thickness of the plaster behind he lath varies a lot so you might have to do some shimming to get a relatively straight line to screw e new drywall to.

Search this Thread