Asbestos plaster question

Old 06-24-14, 12:35 PM
Asbestos plaster question

Hi everyone,
I just bought a house built in the early 60s and recently had some electrical work done by a licensed electrician. I had a power outlet installed in my bathroom which turned out to be made of plaster walls. I asked the electrician as he was cutting a whole in the wall if that was safe. He said there's no problem at all. I've been doing some reading on plaster walls and there are some reports saying it will contain asbestos, while other reports saying asbestos was not used in lath and plaster walls. There is a hole left in the plaster that I need to patch up and now has me worried. I know the only way to know for certain is to test but I'm hoping some pros here will take a look at this pic and tell me what they see. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-14, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I don't really know anything about asbestos and plaster but asbestos is only a concern when it's in a dry powder [breathable] form. The is no danger while asbestos is wet. If there is asbestos in the wall it's unlikely that you'd disturb it any at this point. It would only have been a concern when the hole was cut. I'd plug the hole with a small piece of drywall, tape, finish and texture ..... and not worry about it.

Some of the others may know more about plaster and asbestos so wait and see what they have to say.

Old 06-24-14, 06:36 PM
Plasterers were known for tinkering with their mixes. What you have is gypsum lath with a plaster brown coat and a whitecoat finish.
Probably there is not asbestos in it. The asbestos was common in acoustical plaster finishes but not in ordinary plaster. Fix it and forget it. If ever you do some major demolition then get it tested for your own peace of mind.

Old 06-24-14, 07:01 PM
Even if there were some in the brown coat, and as mentioned, I doubt it, the finish coat is lime and gauging plaster which would be doing a good job of keeping it under cover.

As tight coat mentioned, patch it and don't lose sleep over it.

Old 06-27-14, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. What would be the best/easiest way to patch this up? Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 06-28-14, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cut a small piece of drywall to fit the hole and screw it to the stud. If you don't have any scrap drywall handy, go to a house under construction and bum a small piece of their scrap.

Once the drywall patch piece is secured you'd tape, finish and texture like you would any drywall repair. Depending on how your patch piece fits, you might need to prefill the gaps around the perimeter. Let the prefill mud dry before taping.

You can buy aerosol cans of orange peel texture or thin down joint compound to approximately paint consistency and 'pat' it over the repair with a sponge.

Search this Thread