JC storing

Old 07-02-14, 11:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
JC storing

Finishing up a project and think will come up a little short on JC. Hate to buy small tubs but not sure if I can store it fairly long term, Year or more. Have heard of putting water on top so it will not dry out in tub. Good idea or not.
Thanks Don

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-14, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
A little water is ok and I like to press plastic wrap down on the surface to minimize the amount of air coming into contact with the surface of the mud.

Old 07-02-14, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Not sure about a year, but yes, get it all level by dropping it on the floor a few times, then slowly put water in to completely cover it. I've also heard a very little bit of bleach to stop any mold growth? Make sure any dried stuff on the lip or groove of the lid is removed, then put the lid on tightly. Store in a cool place.

Check it in advance of your next project.

Either all this, or try and sell whats left to someone and buy new next time.

Old 07-02-14, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
I would definitely NOT put water in it. Instead I would simply scrape the mud completely off the sides of the bucket so that the edges of the bucket are clean, (throw that mud away if it's got ANY dry crap in it!) then place a round piece of poly over the mud (use the lid as a template) and push the air out from under the poly, smoothing it with your hand.

Water will definitely cause it to mold if you are planning on storing it that long. For short term storage, you can forget the plastic and use water instead.

Old 07-02-14, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks will see tomorrow if extra needed. sure looks like it.

Search this Thread