Panelling Removed - Now What?

Old 07-05-14, 10:39 AM
Panelling Removed - Now What?

I removed some half-height wainscot panels from kitchen and bathroom. The panels were easy to remove, but did tear the paper where the adhesive was.

In the kitchen, I began just using wallboard compound to cover the wall and smooth it out. First I tried to remove all the areas that had loose paper with a razor blade. The walls are textured and I was planning on hiring someone to do the texturing to match the upper half of the wall.

I came across a post where Zinnser Gardz was recommended. Did I make a mistake by mudding over the wall?

What issues might I face with the wallboard compound covering vs any other way of handling this?

I suppose worst case, I could cut out the drywall and put up new sections.

Any advice would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-14, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Often when moisture comes in contact with raw [uncovered] gypsum it will partially dissolve it and around the edges it can lift the paper. Priming with either Gardz or an oil base primer prevents that.

I'd closely inspect what you've applied mud to and see if it looks ok - sometimes you get lucky. If you have any bad spots you can cut/scrape those areas, prime and then continue with the repairs.

Old 07-05-14, 02:30 PM
Ok, so move on with what I've done in the kitchen and can spot repair as needed.

I'll primer the bathroom. Can I just add texture over the primer and primer again, then paint?

Do I need to scrape off all the spots where there is residual adhesive, or just cover with the primer/texture?

Old 07-05-14, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the adhesive residue is even with the wall, the primer and texture will take care of it. If the adhesive is rough or gobbed up on the wall - it will show! Sometimes dried adhesive can be sanded smooth.

Gardz or oil base primer can be mudded, textured or painted over. Gardz just seals the wall, it doesn't have any coverage properties so generally it's better to use latex wall primer over the texture prior to painting.