Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bubbles

Temporarily Suspended

NY

08-29-14, 05:22 PM   #1  
Bubbles

1950's house, plaster walls. There were some lumps in it. I don't know what caused them. The owner had some one grind them down & called me to patch the wall. I'm using the light weight joint compound (blue top). The first coat went on nicely but I'm getting bubbles in the second coat. What did I do wrong? Should I have used a different product? What's my next step?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-30-14, 04:06 AM   #2  
What size are the bubbles? Large bubbles are problem, most likely caused by moisture in the the wall If they are just little pin head size bubbles it's probably were you mixed air into the mud while mixing it. They are no big deal, just sand, remove the dust and apply a thin coat of j/c.

I've always preferred to use Durabond when making repairs to plaster as it dries hard, similar to the plaster finish. Joint compound is a lot softer .... but easier to sand

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Temporarily Suspended

NY

08-30-14, 05:57 AM   #3  
They are larger than pin heads. I used an egg beater to mix the j/c before I applied it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-30-14, 06:29 AM   #4  
It sounds like air bubbles, no biggie, just sand and recoat with j/c.

Temporarily Suspended

NY

08-30-14, 06:38 AM   #5  
If it happens again, should I switch to Durabond or mix plaster with the j/c?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-30-14, 06:41 AM   #6  
The trick is not to mix the mud so aggressively. I either mix the mud by hand with my knife in the mud pan or use a slow speed drill and paddle in a bucket.

Temporarily Suspended

NY

08-30-14, 06:52 AM   #7  
I mixed it with a variable speed cordless drill that needed to be recharged. So the speed was minimal. I'll see what happens later.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-30-14, 09:25 AM   #8  
It might be the technique you are using to mix the mud. You want to keep the paddle in the mud and limit how often you lift it out and plunge it back in [bringing air with it]

Temporarily Suspended

NY

08-30-14, 11:57 AM   #9  
I went back there today. The bubbles seemed to have taken care of themselves for the most part. I sanded & touched up a few sections. Someone else is going to paint so I told the home owner to have him put a coat of primer on it & to tell me if any more touch-ups are needed before he paints.

Thanks for the advice on how to mix the mud. I pretty much did exactly what you said but I'll be more conscious of it, in the future.

Search this Thread