Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Plaster Repair - Which Primer on Wooden Laths?

Old 09-09-14, 06:09 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm new to plaster repair. On all the youtube videos, the expert gently removes the plaster that has torn away from the wooden laths and then coats the laths with a primer so the new plaster adheres to the wooden laths or "keys".

They never mention a brand or type of primer. What is the appropriate primer to apply to the wooden laths or keys?

Old 09-09-14, 06:40 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That would be a bonding agent such as "Plaster Weld" by Larsen Products.

You could forgo that and install "diamond mesh" lath over the wood and apply the plaster base coat to that.

Old 09-10-14, 03:45 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
I prefer to lath it with diamond mesh metal lath or 20 ga. Chicken wire. I still use a bonding agent on the edges of the hole. I screw my new lath or wire rather than nail it so it don't shake a lot of dirt in my face if it's a ceiling and / or loosen more plaster by nailing it. If you don't put up new lath or wire you must renail the wood lath with wood lath nails at every stud or joist. And whether or not you add new lath or wire clean out the keys in the old wood lath. It makes for a better patch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: