Large Cracked Roof in mobile home

Old 09-26-14, 11:22 AM
Large crack in mobile home ceiling

Not sure how to tackle this. This is moving damage from when they moved the mobile home into the park last year. This is a mobile home with cathedral ceilings so there is no way to access it from above. The ceiling is filled with lose blow in type insulation. About a 7f long crack and the molding holding it mid way all that keeping it from separating. The Hallway part is flush up by the top its hard to see in the picture but its hanging down about inch. Drywall they used is very thick 5/8 or something greater.

Just want it to look decent / hold up. Need to seal it we recently had our mobile home tightened up in a weatherization program (we are where using more to heat then much larger houses $$$ 40% more then other homes in our area) and during the blower door test it was sucking a lot of air from there. They were just going to calk it which is what I may end up doing but hoping for a more proper fix that looks decent. Not sure how to handle its not a drywall repair that I have any experience with. Any help would be hot.

Attached Images   

Last edited by mwlady386; 09-26-14 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-14, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I don't know what material is used on the newer MH ceilings [last 30 yrs] but it isn't drywall. The walls are 1/4" drywall with a vinyl face but the ceiling is different. It's some type of 'plastic' panels. I doubt any type of drywall repair would work. I'd use caulking. If you take a damp sponge and work it into the crack and remove most of the excess it shouldn't be all that noticeable.

Old 09-26-14, 05:30 PM
It's a 94 skyline has a lot of features usually seen in Homes including shingled roof and gutters (high cathedral ceilings also unusual for a mobile home) A better shot of the separated part, cant get a good angle to close to the wall but its defiantly brown paper with pressed white chalk / plaster in-between just like standard drywall just thicker.

Just can't see how I can connect and even the two half's without making it look terrible. Have some crazy idea's though metal mesh or mending plates with drywall screws....and trying to cover that up..

Name:  IMG_0119.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  35.7 KB

Old 09-27-14, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've torn into a lot of the older MH ceilings [cellotex] I've never torn down one of the newer ones. All the newer ones I've worked on seem to be some type of plastic or at least the texture is. It is also possible that the ceiling was replaced at some point. In fact the more I look at the pics with the lack of strips between panels - the more I think that is the case.

If it's textured drywall, you should be able to scrape off 4" of texture on each side of the crack, mud/tape, finish and retexture. Popcorn texture is usually applied with a hopper gun although you can also get it in aerosol cans. Spraying ceiling texture is messy so be sure to cover up everything.

Any loose drywall would need to be secured with screws. If there is nothing to secure it to you'd need to open up a section and either add framing or screw a piece of wood to the solid drywall overlapping the hole giving you wood to secure the patch piece to.