Leaky roof, is this mold?

Old 09-30-14, 09:15 PM
Leaky roof, is this mold?

My house is about 6 years old. In our first year we had a leak in the roof and the builder came out and fixed it. It doesnt rain much in our area (El Paso, TX) so it wasnt really put to the test until a few years later. We noticed a water spot starting to form in the same spot on the ceiling during a storm. I went up to the attic but could not find the source of the leak. Did not have another issue until this year when we got another fair amount of rain. This time I was able to find what I believe to be the source of the leak:

Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  22.9 KB

Found this water spot on a beam right above where our leak is. CHecked the beam below and found some water staining:

Name:  DSC_0013.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  21.6 KB
Name:  DSC_0014.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  25.4 KB

We also noticed a spot about 2 inches over from where the major leak was, but I didnt think it was possible it came from another beam so close, but it sure was:

Name:  DSC_0015.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  18.5 KB

But here is the scary part. My sister in law recently had to evacuate her home due to a mold infestation after these same storms. So I did some poking around. Looked in the spot where we had our previous leak (did not leak this year) and found this:

Name:  DSC_0006.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  23.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  22.0 KB
Name:  DSC_0008.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  20.3 KB

Found this spot on one side of the house where we had no leaks, but it looked suspicious:

Name:  DSC_0018.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  23.8 KB

And this one on a support beam as I was coming back down:

Name:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  26.7 KB

I rubbed the spot (wearing gloves) didnt seem fuzzy or slimy, but I just want to make sure if I'm dealing with mold here or not.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-14, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
With the exception of the dark spot on the bottom of one of the 2x4s all I see is some water stains and blue paint used when they mark a pallet of 2xs. As long as the leak has been repaired there shouldn't be any need to worry. Mold requires 3 things to grow, food source [the wood] moisture and heat. Take away any one of the 3 and it won't survive.