Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Issue with wall and trim

PA

10-20-14, 12:55 PM   #1  
Issue with wall and trim

I am currently redoing the hardwood floor in my spare bedroom and remodeling as well. When I removed the trim which was the really thick trim with a toe kicker along the bottom I found that they didn't drywall the whole way to the floor, from the floor up they installed a board about 6", Im sure they did this to get the trim a better support. I'm putting much smaller trim on than what was on, so should I remove the board and replace with drywall, or just try to plaster over it?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

10-20-14, 01:23 PM   #2  
Convention is to bring the drywall down to about 1/2" above the floor so it does not sit in and wick up moisture on the floor.

I would remove the board and use drywall.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-20-14, 01:39 PM   #3  
If you apply plaster or joint compound directly over wood it will fail sooner or later. I'd either use tall baseboard or replace the board with drywall.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

10-20-14, 02:29 PM   #4  
Yep, thats what I figured was going to be the best option, oh boy this is going to be fun to remove because they have it really nailed in there good.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-20-14, 02:33 PM   #5  
Once you get one end loose it should come off fairly easy. If you can't get a cats paw under the nail head you could drill the heads off of the 1st few. Once you can start prying one end the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

PA

10-20-14, 02:46 PM   #6  
Yeah, that is true, there is a corner I can start on, the problem is the board sits down below the hardwood floor, thats why its going to be difficult.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-21-14, 03:11 AM   #7  
Why not set you skil saw to 1/2" depth and run it along the wall cutting the wood and just remove the top portion.

PA

10-21-14, 04:15 AM   #8  
Thats actually what I was trying to do, but I was using a wood chisel and splitting it longways, by the time I got the top section out, the bottom section was pretty loose and easy to pry out with minimal effort, they didn't put all that many nails in, and the nails are pretty small. Once I got a section loose I was pretty much able to just grab and pull it the rest of the way out. I figure also while I am going to be doing some drywall I mys well install the ceiling fan I have wanted to put in the rooms, catch it all in one swing.

Found out once it is out, I can sand the entire perimeter with my palm sander since it freed up space, the only areas I will need to hand sand now are the corners.

Search this Thread