Cement board and sheetrock joints

Old 12-12-14, 07:30 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cement board and sheetrock joints

1st. Inside a Master Bath shower that will be used maybe twice a day does it matter cement board vs hardy board?

2. At one point, either board listed above will butt up against the green board. How do I finish the seam? I can't find any videos that match what I need. The cement board inside shower on the back wall is going from cement/hardy board to green board, no separation. Glass doors butt up against the tile then outside the doors it will go to green board. How do I finish the seam of the two different boards, half cement/hardy board half green board?

Old 12-13-14, 02:06 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
First of all, at each separation between vertical backer board and greenboard, make sure you have good nailing surfaces. You will want to nail/screw each off at the transition so there is no movement. If you have a heavy door that will be attached to the wall, make sure sufficient wood in located in that area to carry the weight.

Next comes good planning. The break between the two board should fall within 1/2" to 1" of the end of the tile such that the finish bullnose of the tile bridges and covers the transition so that it is smooth and seamless. Next you want tape the transition with mesh tape and a setting type joint compound (not readymix). Then feather a nice transition into the sheetrock and a semi smooth finish on the cement board.

1/2" cement board will be easier to work with as the 1/2" hardi is rather challenging to cut. I use 1/4" hardi all the time for floors, and use a diamond cutting wheel to trim. Make sure you get fiber resistant cement board tape and thinset the seams and corners of the cement boards as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: