Cracking around interior windows


Old 12-13-14, 12:46 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 78
Cracking around interior windows

Just moved into a place and I have some interior cracking around some windows. It's a townhouse built in 89.

Two different types of cracking. One is cracking in the drywall around the window ledge corners seen in picture 1 below. Two is cracking in the caulking. I'm not sure how to repair either.

Picture 1:
Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 2140
Size:  13.5 KB

Picture 2:
Name:  Picture2.jpg
Views: 2188
Size:  13.8 KB
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-14, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 43,829
Where 2 pieces of wood meet or the drywall meets wood - those cracks get caulked, the rest gets filled in with joint compound or spackling. Usually damage like that next to a window is caused by leaks or condensation.
Old 12-13-14, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 4,297
New caulking does not stick to old.
Old needs to be cut out and scraped off.
Use Alex 230 caulking.
Less is better, there is no need to do any more then fill in the crack, it does nohting to have it all over the wood and the wall.
Put it on, wipe with a damp finger, the wipe off the access with a damp sponge.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes