Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ceilng damaged

CAL

01-12-15, 02:07 PM   #1  
Ceilng damaged

My ceiling was damaged so I fixed it and I used the wall ceiling texture orange peeling on the ceiling. It isn't perfect and plus After somebody told me that I would use ceiling texture orange peel knowdown instead of the wall texture. Can I stiil use homemax ceiling texture orange peel knowdown too?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-13-15, 03:12 AM   #2  
Orange peel is orange peel no matter where you apply it. The same texture can be used on walls or ceilings [I even saw popcorn on walls once ] The only real difference between orange peel textures is the consistency [light - heavy] Many will use a heavier texture on the ceiling.

You can more/different texture over texture if needed.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-13-15, 08:18 AM   #3  
If you're talking about knockdown on ceiling, that doesn't look like knockdown.
It looks like orange peel. The only advantage to "ceiling" spray cans is that the nozzle is designed to spray straight up. The wall nozzle is 90 degrees. There's no difference in the texture.

You can go back over it. A heads up though, these spray can textures don't work that well. If you can get it looking half way good, your ahead of the game.

If you want "real" texture, and a better chance of matching, purchase one of the sprayers that look like a bicycle tire pump. You mix your own mud for these.

Brian
Cal Contractor

CAL

01-15-15, 01:28 PM   #4  
Homax Aerosol Ceiling Texture?

Which do I use Homax Aerosol Ceiling Texture - Orange Peel & Knockdown or Homax Aerosol wall Texture - Orange Peel for the ceiling?

Attached Images

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-15-15, 01:30 PM   #5  
While the texture inside the can is basically the same, the nozzle is different. Knockdown is a splatter coat that is then 'knocked down' with a knife after it sets a little bit. Orange peel is just sprayed on the wall/ceiling. You want the orange peel can. The only difference between a wall can and ceiling can is the direction of the nozzle.

CAL

01-15-15, 02:49 PM   #6  
latex primer?

Do I use the latex primer before use orange peel texture spray on the ceiling or skip using latex primer?

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-15-15, 04:26 PM   #7  
The manufacturer of the spray recommends a primer before spray for adhesion.
That said, it doesn't help you with matching texture. I would skip the primer and concentrate on how to match the texture.
Practice on a large piece of scrap drywall. Hold can about 24" away and move in a circular/random motion, move quickly and spray in short bursts. Don't try to make it match in one shot and use heavier setting than you think you need because it will shrink.

If you want a perfect match, entire ceiling must be floated and retextured. You will not get a perfect match with a spray can. Experiment and get it the best you can.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-16-15, 03:42 AM   #8  
Generally there is no need for primer under the texture although texture will dry at a more even rate when the drywall is sealed. You do need to prime over the dry texture before applying paint.

I've had good results touching up texture but I never use the aerosol texture cans, I always use a hopper gun. The size of the orange peel is dependent on the texture's consistency and the size tip it's being sprayed thru. The distance between the tip and the ceiling will also affect the look of the texture some.

Going by the pic, your first attempt doesn't look bad and even if you don't get it perfect the odds are that most won't notice [especially if it's not pointed out] the repair.

CAL

01-16-15, 08:30 AM   #9  
Rust-Oleum painter touch ultera cover premium Latex Primer?

I have Rust-Oleum painter touch ultera cover premium Latex Primer but it is grey color or do I buy the white one or Which brand do like it?

Attached Images

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-16-15, 09:13 AM   #10  
I've never used any latex rustoleum paint but it should do fine .... but a grey primer will be harder to cover with white paint.

CAL

01-16-15, 09:23 AM   #11  
I've never used any latex rustoleum paint but it should do fine .... but a grey primer will be harder to cover with white paint.
I am going to buy the white latex primer but which brand do you like?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-16-15, 09:34 AM   #12  
I prefer the major brands like SWP, B.Moore, PPG, Zinnser, etc. but what brand of primer you use on a ceiling isn't all that critical. Most primers will adhere fine to texture.

CAL

01-16-15, 11:48 AM   #13  
How long do I wait before painting the ceiling?

How long do I wait before painting the ceiling

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-16-15, 01:59 PM   #14  
The texture will be kind of grey while it's wet and pure white once it's dry. It can be dry in as little as an hour or take as long as 12 hrs [maybe more] it all depends on temp and humidity.

CAL

01-16-15, 03:42 PM   #15  
Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer Sealer Stain Killer.

I prefer the major brands like SWP, B.Moore, PPG, Zinnser, etc. but what brand of primer you use on a ceiling isn't all that critical. Most primers will adhere fine to texture.
I just bought the Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer Sealer Stain Killer. Is it correct?

Attached Images

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-16-15, 03:47 PM   #16  
Yeah, That stuff is great. It seals almost anything, including knot holes (sap) in wood which are the worse.
That's one of the best if not the best.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-17-15, 03:23 AM   #17  
As Brian said, that is an excellent primer

Search this Thread