Expected readiness, paint readiness

Old 01-17-15, 02:16 PM
Expected readiness, paint readiness

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice to help frame expectations in the following context: several hundred square feet of finished but old gypsum ceilings and walls were re-covered (gone over) with blue board and diamond finish type plaster (like unibond, usg, I dunno) by professionals. To highlight scale, it took a full day to hang and a full day to plaster.

1. How close to paint-ready should one expect the result to be?
2. How would you define "paint preparation" from there on?
3. Are the following defects expected: several feet of mesh tape partially showing to the touch (not just to the eye) in the ceiling-wall joint, a few 6 inch+ long ridges in the middle of flat surfaces, rough surfaces near triple corners (e.g. two walls and the floor). All these defects would be obvious once painted if left as-is.

I'm trying to understand where the plasterer's work ends and where the painter takes over in a typical General Contractor-led environment.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on what you've seen.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-15, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When the plasterer is done - the walls/ceilings should be ready for primer and paint!

Plaster is consider a finer finish than just drywall and should look nice. I don't mind doing a little touch up or minor sanding to facilitate the job but there is no reason for the painter to do the plaster work - that's what you paid the plaster guy to do!

Old 01-17-15, 05:46 PM
It would not be unusual to have a few touch ups but not the kinds of things you are talking about. Certainly no mesh tape showing, no rough corners.

The bad thing about plaster, especially one coat systems, is they are not really very conducive to patching or resurfacing with the materials that were used in the first try. I mean, applying one coat material over the original material doesn't really work very well. The repairs should be made with spackling paste or some other fine bodied material. Sanding one coat finishes is usually not very easy either, they tend to be quite hard.

It could be the plaster used was somewhat dated material and the installer didn't have enough time to properly work the mix to the desired result. But that is certainly his issue, not yours.

I would be speaking to the CM about having the plastering sub come back or inform him there will be a back charge for your efforts.

I have done many plaster jobs (one coat veneer is my least favorite) but I have always worked with the painter to review work and make any touch ups before they take over.