Sheet rock mounted metal railing

Old 02-12-15, 09:23 AM
Sheet rock mounted metal railing

I volunteer as a maintenance man at a middle school in the South Bronx. Several of the metal wall-mounted railings have come lose as the screws have pulled out of the sheet rock. What is the best method of repairing the sheet rock so I can remount the railings? Screws look to be 1.5" long, 1/2" wide. Five mountings for 20' railing.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-15, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The railing shouldn't be mounted to the sheetrock! It should be screwed thru the drywall and into a framing member. I assume with a screw that long that it went into the framing. If it will no longer get a good bite on the framing you might have to open the wall up to make repairs before taking care of the cosmetic stuff.

Old 02-12-15, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Even when attached to a joist I have seen railings work loose when attached on top of sheetrock. Tiny movement over time breaks down the sheetrock until the railing can move a good deal while still firmly screwed to the wall. The best solution I've found is to cut out the sheetrock where the railing mounts and replace it with plywood or some other solid material.