Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sheet rock mounted metal railing

NY

02-12-15, 09:23 AM   #1  
Sheet rock mounted metal railing

I volunteer as a maintenance man at a middle school in the South Bronx. Several of the metal wall-mounted railings have come lose as the screws have pulled out of the sheet rock. What is the best method of repairing the sheet rock so I can remount the railings? Screws look to be 1.5" long, 1/2" wide. Five mountings for 20' railing.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-12-15, 09:29 AM   #2  
The railing shouldn't be mounted to the sheetrock! It should be screwed thru the drywall and into a framing member. I assume with a screw that long that it went into the framing. If it will no longer get a good bite on the framing you might have to open the wall up to make repairs before taking care of the cosmetic stuff.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NC

02-12-15, 09:38 AM   #3  
Even when attached to a joist I have seen railings work loose when attached on top of sheetrock. Tiny movement over time breaks down the sheetrock until the railing can move a good deal while still firmly screwed to the wall. The best solution I've found is to cut out the sheetrock where the railing mounts and replace it with plywood or some other solid material.

Search this Thread