Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dryawall height sitting higher than adjacent piece

GA

02-21-15, 12:40 PM   #1  
Dryawall height sitting higher than adjacent piece

I have installed 2 pieces of drywall adjacent to each other. Once sits higher off the stud then the other. Is there a way to recover from this without removing the drywall and messing with the studs. It's not as bad as the picture makes it look and the gap in the seam is not as wide as it looks. I'm just interested in doing it well enough to get by, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Name:  IMG_20150221_152516252_HDR.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  38.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-21-15, 01:01 PM   #2  
Yeah, you put a factory tapered edge against a cut edge. Normal. It will require feathered compounding, but tape it as normal and mud it. You will be coming back with a 9" knife and eventually a 12" knife to make it go away, but doable.

CANADA

02-21-15, 01:04 PM   #3  
If you look at your drywall sheets, the long factory edges are actually tapered. This is why one side (the cut side) is higher than the other. Generally, we want to keep all factory tapered edges together when drywalling. This makes it easier to fill after as you don't need to build the seam up as high to cover the tape joint.

There is no reason why you cannot fill the seam you have there, it will just mean a little extra work, but no different than filling a butt seam (where two ends of a sheet, or two cut pieces butt together).

NY

02-21-15, 01:04 PM   #4  
Not an uncommon problem. Usually you try to put a cut edge in a corner to hide or reduce that bevel problem, but as chandler says its fixable as a routine tape job.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-21-15, 03:58 PM   #5  
You might find it easier if you prefill it first and then tape it once that mud has dried, just be sure you don't over fill it or you'll make the joint harder to finish.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

GA

02-21-15, 06:15 PM   #6  
Yeah, I knew you were supposed to put the tapered edges together, I just didn't want to buy another piece of drywall. On the cut piece,neither edge is tapered because it was cut from the middle of a damaged piece I was going to throw away. It's in the garage anyway so it doesn't have to be perfect. Nice to know I don't have to take the piece down and re-work something.

Search this Thread