Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall Sanding

GA

02-28-15, 06:08 AM   #1  
Drywall Sanding

What kind of sandpaper is best for sanding down the drywall compound on drywall. I have 100 medium and 120 fine grit from 3M. I also have one of those sanding blocks, which is a little coarser. I don't have any tape on the seams yet, I just have to sand where they are pre-filled.

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

02-28-15, 06:25 AM   #2  
Filled with what, joint compound? The tape should have been applied while the joint compound was still wet. I wouldn't sand it. I would use a wet sponge. Some people are going to disagree with that. You decide.

Group Moderator

NE

02-28-15, 06:28 AM   #3  
If you mean you have prefilled any large gaps between sheets, that's good. But you do know that normally, you embed the tape as your first coat, right?

You really should not need to sand your prefill unless you made a complete mess out of it. Generally, all you have to do is take your 6" knife and push it over the area if you want to take off any globs and high areas.

Normally you try to apply the joint compound in a manner so that you don't have to do any sanding between coats, you save the sanding for the 2nd to last coat. You use medium sandpaper on a sanding pole, then get out your light and shine it on the walls to identify any areas that need a skim coat. After you skim, you give it all one final sanding with the fine sandpaper.

Too much sanding between coats just wears you out and roughs the paper up.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-28-15, 06:35 AM   #4  
He prefilled the odd gap between the factory edge and a cut edge. Technically if you apply it smoothly and in thin layers, only the last application will need sanding. But since you have it, I would use the 100 grit, or the sanding block to get it down to where you can apply your tape. Remember, it will take several THIN coats of thinned out compound to make the tape joint disappear, as discussed earlier.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...ml#post2390051

That's why we keep all the thoughts in one thread. But, I'm married, so I am used to it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-28-15, 06:57 AM   #5  
I only sand the final coat although I do try to apply the mud in a manner that doesn't require a lot of sanding. If there are ridges and sometimes bumps you can scrape them down with your drywall knife. Be sure to remove any sanding dust prior to applying more mud.

I prefer using a sanding screen instead of sandpaper as it generally lasts longer.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread