Matching existing texture

Old 04-27-15, 04:26 PM
Matching existing texture

I recently installed a new piece of drywall on one of my walls. It butts up against the existing drywall and and I did a pretty good job on the butt joint seams. I painted the new drywall to match the existing drywall and it blends OK except the existing drywall has some texture and the new drywall is smooth where the drywall mud was sanded down. How can I get the smooth surface of the new drywall to match the texture of the existing drywall. Can I apply some texture of some kind over the new paint I just applied or I have to sand it back down and apply some texture

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-15, 05:51 PM
There are all kinds of different texturing techniques all of which will give different results. There is no way to make a suggestion on which one to try without seeing a picture of what you are trying to match.

Old 04-28-15, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, without knowing what type of texture you have it would be impossible to tell you how to replicate it other than that you can make the texture out of thinned down joint compound. Pics might help us to identify your texture - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Normally there is no issue with applying texture over flat latex paint.

Old 04-28-15, 04:50 AM
Normally there is no issue with applying texture over flat latex paint.
The paint that is on there now is not flat, it has an eggshell finish. Would that be a problem?

Old 04-28-15, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While texture might adhere ok as is, it's better to scuff sand the latex enamel first to insure that it will bond well with the paint.