Liquid Nails

Old 06-22-15, 11:18 AM
Liquid Nails

I just recently replaced some drywall in my kitchen. Now I am getting ready to install new door casing around the door. Do I need to use liquid nails or some kind of adhesive on the back of the casing or will just nailing it down with finishing nails suffice?

Last edited by GregInGA; 06-22-15 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-15, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Nails are all I use - 18 ga where I can go directly into structure, 16 ga if I have to go through drywall first.

Old 06-22-15, 11:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, no need to use an adhesive as long as you can nail the casing to the 2x framing. Nail needs to be long enough to go thru whatever wall covering [drywall,paneling,etc] and into the framing deep enough to secure it.

Old 06-22-15, 01:40 PM
I saw a video today where someone was putting liquid nails on the back of chair rail molding and then following it up by nailing it with finishing nails, is why I'm asking. Seems like overkill.

Old 06-22-15, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the end of the chair rail stops where there isn't a stud, then liquid nail [or equivalent] would be in order, otherwise there should be a stud every 16" for the chair rail to be nailed to. Since the door opening is surrounded by 2xs there shouldn't be any issue with framing to nail to.

Old 06-22-15, 02:00 PM
If you use a fast grab type you can actually glue it without nailing it, giving you a nice nail free finish. Only usually works on casing if everything is sitting nice and flush to each other though. However it is great for baseboard!