Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

How to apply door bumper over existing hole?

How to apply door bumper over existing hole?

Old 07-07-15, 03:54 PM
Question How to apply door bumper over existing hole?

I've got a small hole knocked in the wall by a door handle. I'd like to cover the hole and prevent further damage at the same time, by installing a wall door stop:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52896[/ATTACH]

But this door stop mounts through a single screw in the center, which of course will be right where the hole is. Should I clean out and replaster the hole before installing the screw? Or do something else entirely (I don't know glue it on maybe)?

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-15, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I don't think there would be anything wrong with plastering it in... then putting in he supplied anchor. Although those kind of repairs will sometimes want to break out again. You could also forget about the supplied anchor and just get a toggle bolt and a 3" screw. Put the toggle bolt on the door stop, drill out the damaged area, insert the toggle bolt, pushing it all the way in, and then pull the door stopper toward you so that the toggle bolt catches on the back side of the wall... and then just tighten the screw.

Old 07-07-15, 04:58 PM
Ooh, I like the toggle bolt idea. Seems easier and more secure. Thanks!

Old 07-07-15, 05:59 PM
That will look like poop.
Fix the wall and install a stop on the top hinge or a threaded one that mounts to the base board.
Look at the top row of items.
Door Stops - Door Accessories - The Home Depot

Old 07-07-15, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
They make self adhesive flat ones that have a sort of textured finish and can be painted. They look a bit commercial, but they do the job.

This rental I'm in has those as well as baseboard mounted stops. I don't like the hinge stops as they seem to loosen and can damage the casing if really shoved.

Old 07-08-15, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I vote for repairing the wall and installing a bumper on the base. I don't like the hinge bumpers either, seen a lot of them go thru hollow core doors