Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing paint and wallpaper from joint compound/stucco wall over cinderblock

TX

07-12-15, 07:36 PM   #1  
Removing paint and wallpaper from joint compound/stucco wall over cinderblock

Hello all,

I took over a business that has one cinderblock wall. The wall was previously painted, but we could tell something was sagging and it was bubbling in areas. Long story short, we started pulling at it and exposed a paper mural that was painted over that has allowed a lot of mold to appear. Beneath the paper mural is another paint layer (where most the mold seems to be), and beneath that is a joint compound type material that is white and easily powders off if you scrape at it. Below that is a concrete type material, and lastly beneath that is the cinder block exterior wall. Now, to my question, what is the best way to remove the layers of paint and wallpaper and mold to get it to a clean surface? Our plan was to use furring strips to install drywall for a nice paintable surface, but we don't want any moisture to get through to it, and we obviously want to handle all of the mold. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
moparman69

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

07-12-15, 07:42 PM   #2  
You probably want a respirator and something like this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...kL._SY355_.jpg

You might also have some success with a grinder and a wire brush wheel.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-13-15, 03:57 AM   #3  
Welcome to the forums!

I believe I'd just scrape off what I could. Joint compound is water soluble so wetting it may help. Before you install the furring strips you want to determine where the moisture came from and stop it from coming back. What is on the other side of that wall?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TX

07-13-15, 05:23 AM   #4  
Yeah, I was manually scraping it off with a 3 inch paint scraper, but it was taking forever and was wearing me out. The other side of the wall is just the cinderblock with paint on it and caulk in the seams. I also have to treat this side to keep the water from seeping in. I was told to pressure wash the paint and caulk off, then use a sealant to prevent any moisture from coming through the wall. Any other tips or alternative methods are appreciated!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-13-15, 05:31 AM   #5  
Were the joints caulked to 'fix' failing mortar? If you can clean the exterior side of the block down to bare [or almost] block a coat of drylok would be in order. Otherwise a coat of an elastomeric paint over sound paint/primer should waterproof the wall. Obviously you'd address the joints first, caulk is ok for minor repairs/cracks but the missing mortar needs to be replaced.

You might try wetting the wall and then scraping and see if that makes removal easier.

TX

07-13-15, 05:45 AM   #6  
Thanks for the tips marksr. The paint on the exterior portion of the wall is cracking all over the place and since the building is 60+ years old, I bet the caulk is for cracks between the cinder blocks. My guess is we will have to remove it down to bare-ish and fill those holes with mortar, and then a drylok coat. Marksr, are you in agreement with the earlier post to use a wire brush wheel for the interior wall with all of those old layers?

Thank you!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-13-15, 05:48 AM   #7  
The only issue I have with using a wire wheel is all the mess it will create - too much clean up if it can be avoided.

Group Moderator

WI

07-13-15, 07:35 AM   #8  
If you have moisture coming through this wall, the best place (not necessarily the easiest) to address it is on the other/out side.

Search this Thread