Use of wood over tape/mud

Old 07-27-15, 03:58 PM
Question Use of wood over tape/mud

I live in Central Texas where it gets super hot but can also get pretty cold in the winter. My garage attic is not insulated and the tape is falling from the ceiling in places. I've read that this could be due to moisture from no insulation and/or the electric garage door opener. I would like to paint and "finish" my garage but I have to fix this ceiling issue first so it doesn't look terrible and have to be patched over and over. So my plan for now is below and I'd like any critique the experienced folks here can offer.
  1. re-tape and mud where the tape is falling
  2. paint the walls and ceiling (haven't looked into this much tbh but I figure it can't be much different than interior walls)
  3. use some 1x3 planks of wood to run across the seems of the ceiling purely for asthetics

Aside from any other input, my main question is if it's a bad idea to place the wood up on the ceiling like that. I will likely install some rolled insulation soon after but with the wood up it wouldn't be a priority since money is tight.

WHat do you think? Thanks for the help to all who can provide it.

note: I'm a newish home-owner and have never tape/floated before let alone installed wood beam (planks) on a ceiling lol.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-15, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Stripping and bordering the garage win 12 or 1x3 is a fine way to finish where you have problems with the tape pulling apart from the joint. You will probably wind up with 4' squares on the ceiling.

Old 07-28-15, 03:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see this fairly often Builders pay the painter by the sq footage of living space which doesn't include the garage [we paint it for free] so some builders/painters don't paint the garage Most building codes require the drywall to be taped but not necessarily painted. The moisture in the air will degrade the joint compound over time causing it to fail .... and a coat of primer/paint would have prevented that.

Once you've replaced the failing tape and finished the drywall it will be ready for paint. Most any interior [or exterior] paint will work fine. Don't forget to remove the sanding dust before applying the primer.