Drywall crack repair

Old 07-29-15, 08:38 AM
Drywall crack repair

I've got an area of wall that I need to repair. There was a crack near the top of the wall, near where it meets the ceiling. I've broken away the loose material and this is what I'm dealing with. The dark area in the center of the area is the drywall, and the straight edge of the torn away area (and the slightly cream-colored area at the upper right part of the area) is the edge of the paper drywall tape of the wall-to-ceiling joint. The tape seems to be floating above the drywall, I can just slide a putty knife behind the tape. It seems it was never bedded into any compound. I guess this is why the crack developed in the first place...

Anyway, what is a sound way to repair this? I'm thinking to fill it in with setting compound, put a new piece of paper tape over whole thing, cover with several coats of compound, and then feather sand it all out. Does this sound like a decent plan?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-15, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Cut away the loose tape first, then I like your plan.

Old 07-29-15, 09:37 AM
Right, cut away loose tape, check. Thanks, stickshift!

Old 07-29-15, 11:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes you can get by with sliding j/c under the loose tape and 'gluing' it back down but unless you can get enough mud under the loose tape - it's best to cut out the loose and retape.

Search this Thread