Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

How to patch/paint ceiling corners with stapled cable?

Old 08-06-15, 11:58 AM

I will be fixing the ceiling and repainting it completely. However, I have an internet cable that was installed recently along a wide area of the ceiling in the top corner with a staple gun.

Name:  20150805_164038.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  10.5 KB
Name:  20150805_164055.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  8.8 KB

I am consider taking if off and then putting it back after finishing the walls and ceiling or just cover it up and bury it in durabond compound.

The second option would be much easier for me since I will not have to buy an expensive staple gun designed for cables. Also, it will not be visible. However, I an not sure how to nicely cover it up and make a rounded corner to ceiling angle covering the cable. Would that look very weird if half of the room has this curve and the other does not? I don't know if I would mind much, but just don't know the technique to do it.

Anyway, any suggestion on what you would do?

Thanks!

Edit: I noticed the images are pretty small so here are link to full resolution images...

- http://screencast.com/t/FDPXheOhw

- http://screencast.com/t/jAHj34M6cc

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-15, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, let's start at the beginning - what happened to the ceiling?

Old 08-06-15, 12:39 PM
Lol, ok.

The ceiling had a crack in the top few coats of the plaster (the white part). It eventually got wider and it started to hand a little so I just ripped it down as well as some around it.

Old 08-06-15, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like there's still a little loose plaster up there you need to remove. I assume you know all of that has to come down first. Additionally, it doesn't sound like the reason it failed in the first place has been addressed - any thoughts on that?

As to the cable, I think that looks awful and would be looking to move it like to behind the baseboard or something or, barring that possibility, covering it with crown molding.

Old 08-06-15, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks like there is a lot more loose plaster that will need to be removed.
I agree with the suggestion to hide the cable behind baseboard or crown molding.

Old 08-06-15, 03:38 PM
Hmm, hiding it in the wall/ceiling is actually a great idea. I think I may do that. The only concern is that the wire is very tight and I wont have any extra to even push it inside. However, I think i can save some cable by going across the ceiling in one area instead of around the corners.

BTW, I know you suggested putting it behind the baseboard but just digging a trench in the wall, ceiling and plastering it up shoudl work as well right?

Old 08-07-15, 12:37 PM
So yeh, definitly going with digging a trench ion the wall and ceiling then filling and hidding everythign with durabond.

One thing though.. as I push the cable into the wall, is there anytype of quck dry bong or anythign elsge I can use to get teh cable to stick to the back of the wall as I ab pushing durabond on top of it. Just want to make sure it does not move around before the durabond dries. Even if I get away with not affixing the cable with anything to the wall while I fill the hole, It wiont work as I am running about a meter of cable through the ceiling.

Old 08-07-15, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless you dig out too wide of a 'trench' I wouldn't be overly concerned - it should stay put. Durabond dries fairly fast although some faster than others - it depends on which bag you buy.

Old 08-09-15, 09:22 AM
The thing is that I would want to work pretty fast with durabond so that it does not dry in the bucket while I wat for it to dry on the cable. Anyway, Ill figure out something with that. Maybe staple a bit... will see.

What about best places to hide this cable, in the wall or in the ceiling?
1 - 2015-08-09_1216 - directories's library
2 - 2015-08-09_1216 - directories's library

The wall may be easier (although there is about 4 feet latter on I will have no choice but to do it in ceiling) but Im afraid of cutting the entire drywall into two parts. So if I cut into the drywal, about 2 -3 inches under the current cable, I will end up cutting the drywal into two pieces. Is the top 3-4 inches of drywal is not attached to the wood slath behind it properly, it may litteraly be handing in the air untill I patch it up to the rest of the drywal witht he cable. Even if I cover it up well, it would seem like a giant crack waiting to happen and hench why I think I rather go in the ceiling.

BTW, the ceiling is old fashing plaster on lath and the walls are drywall on top of old fashin popcord wall.

Thanks!

Old 08-09-15, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may not need to cut all the way thru the drywall to get a channel to house the cable. Using paper tape over the channel [once the cable is inserted and mudded over] should prevent any cracking.

btw - what is that hump next to the ceiling in the first pic?

Old 08-09-15, 10:09 AM
That may be true, but would be pretty close though since ti would have to be more than half for sure. FibaFuse woudl probably be a good idea though so I think I will use that.

As for the hump, I had the same exact question and am afraid to find the answer to. I just know that a few feet straight under that around the corner is the fuse box with all the house cabled going into that and I am afaid that humb may be one of those cables. I will definitly be extra carefull int hat area. Thats also why i decided to go 3 inched down