Scratches in wall

Old 08-21-15, 06:03 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Scratches in wall

Any advice on covering up these scratches? (Made by my cats back claws when he jumps into the window). I'm renting and a DIY newb! Name:  image (1).jpg
Views: 229
Size:  13.9 KB

Old 08-22-15, 03:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Couldn't tell from the pic - does the wall have texture? If no texture all you have to do is spread a little joint compound or spackling over the damage, sand when dry, prime and paint. If the wall is textured you'd need to apply a matching texture over the sanded j/c although in that case just priming/painting might be sufficient. You'll need to know what color/brand of paint is on the wall!

Does the landlord know about the damage? I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that he should be kept in the loop. I know some landlords are more accommodating than others.

Old 08-22-15, 10:30 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply!! Yes the landlord knows, and unfortunately doesn't know the paint that was used so it'll be fun trying to match it! The walls have some texture, they're not completely smooth but it's very small.

Old 08-22-15, 11:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Without knowing the brand/line of paint and the color you'll likely be repainting the entire wall.

Old 08-24-15, 07:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Ugh. We use the same brand, color and sheen of paint in all of our units so we don't have issues matching. Given that the landlord does not know what the paint on the wall is, I think they should be providing the paint since, as Mark said, you are going to have to paint the whole wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: